After the students had done Orchid in a Box, learning about the structure of an orchid and had a go at micro-propping in the lab, we took them to the greenhouses to see if they could now spot and identify an orchid. We then got them to take a picture of them and print the picture on our new really snazzy portable printer. The students would then find out where their orchid comes from and put it onto a world map. It was really good fun, and everyone loved the portable printer!
We brought along some orchids for selling at Cambridge too. We didn’t expect to sell many, but to get them ready for the two upcoming shows: Bournemouth Society Show and Cheltenham and Gloucester Society Show. We did however, end up selling a lot more than we expected! Many were sold to the garden staff who kept coming back for more orchids. This meant, we’ve had to completely re stock for the following shows.
We have worked with cambridge botanic gardens to put together 2 trees full of orchid
We had an amazing session today with the botanic garden staff where we taught them all how to sew orchid seed
Much to my excitement when we arrived there was a room with a laminar flow cabinet all ready to be set up, I was then given about 20 minutes to set it up.