Stage one of the website upgrade started at 10:00GMT this morning. Unfortunately due to some server incompatibilities these did not go quite as planned, and so we are now going live again exactly one hour after we planned. Currently you may notice some of the images are currently not loading on the website, this is because they are currently transferring from our old servers to the new servers.
Although the site may not appear any different to the average user, these are the changes we made:
The website was transferred to our new servers and upgraded to the latest software
The site was assigned a new temporary domain-name
The new servers were prepared to receive the usual domain-name [wsbeorchids.org.uk]
The software installation was tweaked to be more efficient than before
The software has been lightened to deliver higher performance
On Monday 23rd and Tuesday 24th August 2010 more minor down-time may be experienced. This will be caused by our domain name being transferred from the old servers to the new.
If you have any questions about the current tweaks being made to our website please leave a comment below and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
As some of you may be aware, today (19/08) is A-Level results day. As you may have gathered from the graphic above, our web designer, Dan Groves, achieved 3 A’s in Business and ICT and is off to study Web Application Design at The University of Plymouth!
A big “Well Done” from all of us at the Writhlington Orchid Project and an enormous “Thank You” for the past 7 years that you have dedicated to the project. You will be missed.
Good news blog watchers…..it rained on sports day, a bit of a pain for the unicycle race but great news for the orchids. At Writhlington we water our plants with rainwater because tap water in Radstock has too many dissolved salts (a conductivity of around 500 micro-siemens). Rain water has a conductivity of just 20 micro-siemens so we can add useful plant food to take it up to around 400 micro-siemens before watering it onto the orchids. For the new greenhouses we specified a rainwater storage tank that holds 16,000 litres of water collected from the 240 square metres of greenhouse roof. During the dry period of March, April, May and June the tank level fell to just 4000 litres but after sports day it is full again…hurrah. It is the last day of term so I would like to thank all of the students who have worked so hard for the orchid Project and made 2009/2010 such a fantastic year.
And so ends two very enjoyable and interesting two weeks, today was a finishing off day with my report and micropropagation being finished and has now been uploaded (Micropropagation Report – J.O’Rourke). I also helped sow seeds from the native, common spotted orchid which we had collected yesterday from the local area.
As this is my final blog post I would like to thank the Writhlington Orchid Project for their welcoming and friendly atmosphere. In particular I would like to thank Simon for organising the placement and helping me throughout. I would also like to thank Luke Barnes for his help and expertees for the duration of the placement. I wish all the best to the Project in the future and am looking forward to coming to the Autumn Festival in September.
I hope you have enjoyed reading my blog
John O’Rourke – Year 10 Student, King Arthur’s Community School, Wincanton.