We have been asked again about growing mounted plants so here is a reminder of how we fix an orchid to cork bark.
First we get our kit together – a plant to split (in this case Bulbophyllum stormii), cork bark (which we import from Portugal) thin and thick wire, sterile scissors (flamed or meths) pliers and fresh labels. We drill three holes in the cork. One for a hook at the top and two in the middle to hold the plant in place.
We then cut of sections of the old plant to mount – they need to have some roots and with a miniature bulbophyllum like this a good little row of bulbs.
We drill three holes in the cork. One for a hook at the top (thick wire) and two in the middle to hold the plant in place (with thin wire).
This wire through the two holes is pulled tight to hold the plant very firmly in place (ideally the wire goes over the rhizome between the bulbs)
The thick wire makes a hook at the top and permanently holds the label in place.
…and it is finished. Hang the plant up and spray it daily – hopefully new roots onto the cork in a month and flowers this October.
Bulbophyllum stormii in flower.
We are offering mounted plants of Barbosella australis for anyone who wants to try growing orchids in the way that they have evolved for.